Well, tonsils and adenoids are gone .... I can already tell he's breathing better even though he's super phlemy right now!
Dr. Leary told us his adenoids were as big as his tonsils, so his breathing really should improve when he's healed.
We had the surgery at Strictly Pediatrics (next to Dell Children's Hospital) and they were super! I highly recommend their facility if you have a little one who needs surgery! The only complaint was the tiny little rooms they kept us in overnight, but hey, it really wasn't bad!
The surgery was FAST. I sent Wayne to get me a soda thinking we had about 30 minutes before the doctor would come back and of course he came back while he was gone! Thankfully Eddie was there so I didn't freak out too bad ... since my first thought was "oh crap, something is wrong" ... but nope, it was just fast!
He did GREAT on the day of the surgery. Went back with no problems. Woke up from surgery with no problem and was acting like his "normal" self in no time! I have some pictures I need to get off my Blackberry along with a video of him being super silly. He had pancakes, mac and cheese and popsicles while at the surgery center.
At 10pm everything changed .... they came in to give him his medicine and he fought the nurse like crazy. Wouldn't take the medicine - she had to call in the other nurse. Siiiigh. He stopped drinking at that point too ... I guess he's pretty sore. Then he spiked a fever about 2am (102.6) no fun! They don't like to see anything over 101. Thank God it came down quickly and I finally felt OK enough to get some sleep and as soon as I dosed off the stinkin' monitor started going off because his blood oxygen levels were lower than they like to see ..... I think it was low because he was in such a deeeeep sleep and I am certain it was higher than it's been for a loooong time .... so I wasn't worried about that so much ... I just hated the alarm that would sound every time it slipped below 85%
Needless to say, mommy is tired!
Today he's not interested in eating OR drinking. We've been able to force some liquid down, but not as much as we'd like. Hopefully later this evening he'll do better so I can relax a little bit! Wayne picked up a few bribes and I hope they'll work! The nurse said "just allow him to have whatever he wants .... don't worry about what it is, as long as it liquid" ... well, if I could get him to put anything in his mouth right now, I totally would! Wayne even went to get him an icee and that didn't work ....
I'll keep you posted! They say the first 5 days are pretty tough ... so keep the prayers coming!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Poor little bugger. I hate that he has to go through this and I wish I could be there for you. This new business sucks sometimes. I hope he will start drinking something really soon. Keep us posted.
LOVE, Mom
Post a Comment