Sunday, September 14, 2008

D%$#*! Ike

Hurricane season brings so much stress to people who live on the Gulf .... they spend many hours June through October watching the weather and praying.

Ike blew in like a bad-a$$ late Friday and early Saturday. Winnie was hammered for HOURS. I have talked to my family and they are doing OK.

They all say this was much worse than Rita (as do all the officials in their area) and the amount of clean up needed is mind-blowing.

Their homes are in good shape, but they lost their barns again and most of their trees. Mom sent a couple of pictures before she lost internet access and I just can't imagine what they must be feeling right now. I am not there to see it in person and it makes my heart hurt to think about everything that has been lost in my hometown.

Thankfully Ike was not as horrible as some of the weather guys predicted - I hate to think of what could have happened if it would have been in the gulf for another few hours (shudder)
They probably would have seen the storm surge all the way into Winnie instead of 5 miles to the south (in Stowell). They were very lucky ... very very VERY lucky and I hope I can convince them to leave next time there is a beast like Ike forming in the Gulf.

If anyone would like to go help with the clean up, I am sure they would welcome you with open arms!

No comments: