Cammie (our sweet dog) started acting weird on Wednesday (refused to eat) and seemed to be getting worse on Thursday. We took her to the vet to make sure nothing was wrong and found something was horribly wrong.
We were treating her for diabetes and a thyroid problem. She was doing really well and as our wonderful vet (Dr Treadway) said "She is the lowest maintenece diabetic dog we have". I figured her weird-ness was related to the diabetes, but found out it was actually a very fast moving, untreatable cancer. Dr Treadway gave us a name, but I was in shock and do not remember what she called it. I will have to ask her when we go pick up her ashes.
All I know is by the time Wayne and I arrived at the vet Thursday afternoon her lungs and abodomen were full of fluid and she was in horrible pain and just miserable.
We were both with her when Dr Treadway gave her the injection and it was a very peaceful moment.
We are lucky that Emily is with mom and dad this week (see mom's blog for an update on her trip) but I am really not looking forward to telling her tomorrow when we pick her up!
Dr Treadway is going to make Emily a paw print (see, she is wonderful) and suggested we cut off a tuft of hair for her.
Cammie was a one of a kind dog! It's hard to imagine when we got her she was terrified of men, hairless and about 25 lbs! She really thought she was a 50lb cat and would probably have climbed on the back of the couch if she could have figured it out! She loved everyone and everyone loved her. She was a sweet sweet soul.
We will miss her so very much!
Halloween - helping Wayne with his pumpkin!
UPDATE - we told Emily coming home from San Antonio last night (we put it off until the last possible minute!). She took it much better than I expected. The first thing she said was "Well, now we have to get a new dog"
Wayne and I aren't ready yet, but we will entertain the idea of a new dog in the summer.
She did ask a lot of questions today (how did it happen? what did the vet do? what did the vet say?) and told me she really misses Cammie when she saw a picture of her this afternoon ... but so far she's doing well.
I picked up a really cute book from Barnes and Noble Dog Heaven that seems to be helping her understand (but wow, it makes me cry everytime I read it!).
I highly recommend it (there is one called Cat Heaven too)
Our vet recommended a cute little book called The 10th Good Thing about Barney. We will probably read it this week too.

1 comment:
We are sorry to hear about your loss. We know how tough it can be to lose such a special member of the family.
Post a Comment